Iwata sensei's essays 5.
You have to devote yourself to iai
and keep training throughout your life.
*You feeling and waza should be natural. You should cut down the oppenens, using the power of koshi and hara as you like.
- You need a strong belief to cut down the opponent.
- You have to think and devise the technique to loosen the power of hands and your legs based on the power of your koshi and hara.
- You have to think and understand the function of your arm and hands that works when you loosen the power of the properly.
- You have to do all the waza, understanding 1., 2., 3., .
You should participate thetaikai and kenkyunkai (meetings to study) as much as possible, willingly.
You need to train hard, and you have to overcome the pressure of the spectators.
You should be strong and firm.
You will be able to be a good teacher when you really understand that.
You should be conscious of that training all your life. Even if you are young, you will be able to achieve iai. If you become lazy in your training at times, and don’t do that completely, you won’t be able to achieve iai, even if you spend all your life.
You won’t be able to feel joy forever.
You should try to rain yourself as early as possible. You will be better quickly when you are young.
Laziness affects you badly.
I want you to trust your ability and possibility, and I want you to do your best.
I want you to develop your faculties as much as possible.
Gihou should be big, calm unhurried, and powerful. You should do real cuts.
If you think you did very well, you should realize that you are not good enough.
(You are an inexperienced student.)
How to do dougi training.
- All the gihou should be done at the risk of your life. You have to dash yourself against the opponent. You should be aware of that strongly all the time.
- You should study the substance of the gihou to cut the opponent down, to attain superiority over the opponent without letting him escape. You should keep training hard to accomplish all the gihou
- Then you will be able to face your opponent boldly, and finally you will be able to cut him down.
- The substance of the gihou.
- How to grip tsukate. Tsukate affects all waza in a good way or in a bad way.
- How to swing swords.
- How to move (make use of) your body.
- How to unify ki, your body, and swords.
- The study of the details of gihou.
- Hasaki should reach the opponent’s body, and it is very important to do real cuts.
- The study of the details of the sword swinging,
- How to move swords, hands, and arms.
- How to apply your physical strength (power) to move sword, hands, and arms.
- The study of the details to use your body.
- The study of ki.
- The study of ki by brains.
- The study of ki and ganriki.
- The study of ki, your body, swords.
How to use then.
- Power (force)
- Slow gihou and quick gihou. Big waza and small waza. How to move your body.
- The relation between the spectators and you.